The relevance of biotechnology is certainly not restricted to the human domain, and rightly so, because over the ages humans have always been around animals and even more presently when the ratio of pets per inhabitants increase every year. The food industry and veterinary medicine are constantly trying to improve their traits creating new races, using techniques such as cross breeding and artificial insemination. The rapid development of modern biotechnology has introduced a new dimension to veterinary medicine and animal breeding. Recent developments in the application of molecular biological techniques in veterinary medicine and animal production.
The biotechnology is used in the animals for a variety of applications, including the following:
- Benefitting and protecting public health, animal health, and welfare.
- Enhancing host resistance to infectious diseases and eliminating genetic-based diseases.
- Increasing the efficiency of food and fiber production.
- Improving the utility, nutritional value, and safety of human food and animal feeds.
- Producing improved animal medicinal products and diagnostic tools.
- Promoting environmentally sustainable agricultural practices.